Kick the can this holiday season. The canned cranberry sauce, that is. Bring this impressive yet easy dish to the table for a delightful twist on the turkey topping staple.
Cranberry Riesling Compote
Fresh cranberries combine with orange and Riesling for a sweet-tart zing that will light up your Thanksgiving, Christmas or anytime you need to add some extra zest to your meal.
-½ cup granulated sugar
-1 cup RELAX Riesling
-1 pound of cranberries, washed & dried
-1 medium orange, quartered
-1 cinnamon stick
-3 dried bay leaves
-¼ tsp sea salt
1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
2. Add wine and stir in sugar. Bring to a simmer until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture thickens. Let the mixture bubble for a little bit, stirring occasionally, for about 6-8 minutes.
3. Add cranberries, stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Cook for 3 minutes. (You’ll start to hear them popping, don’t worry, this is a good thing!)
4. Squeeze the orange quarters into the cranberries. Drop in the rinds, cinnamon stick, bay leaves and salt. Stir often until the ingredients sauce and the cranberries open, about 10-15 minutes.
5. Remove pan from heat and set aside to cool.
6. Remove orange quarters, cinnamon stick and bay leaves. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
7. Enjoy or store in the fridge for up to a week.
Looking for more twists on traditional holiday dishes? We’ve compiled some of our favorite healthy substitutions in this handy list of recipes.